Sunday, April 19, 2009

Mongolian Beef

In case you haven't noticed, I have been in an Asian kind of mood lately! Sorry for the lack of posts lately, but last week marked the start of a crazy month and I won't be in my own kitchen for awhile. So, I leave you with Mongolian Beef. This was a GREAT recipe! The flavor was awesome, the boy really liked it. My only problem was the actual cut of beef. I am super picky about meat. Next time I make this, I'll just use a better cut of beef and then it will be perfect! Originally, I was going to attempt to make fried rice, but ended up using a Lipton Side - Beef Lo Mien, which was good, especially when topped with the yummy Mongolian Beef sauce.

Ingredients:
1 lb. flank steak, thinly sliced
1/4 c. cornstarch
3 tsp. oil
1/2 tsp. grated ginger (I used ground ginger, since that is all I had)
1 tsp. chopped garlic (I was in a hurry and just used garlic powder)
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. soy sauce (I used low sodium)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

Directions:
Make sure steak is dry. Mix with cornstarch and coat well. Shake off the excess cornstarch.

Heat 1 tsp. of oil in the skillet (or wok - I don't have a wok). Add garlic, ginger, water, soy sauce, brown sugar and red pepper flakes.

Cook 2 minutes and then transfer to a bowl.

Add remaining oil to skillet (or wok). Cook meat. Add the sauce back to the skillet.

Yield: 3-4 servings

Source: www.pinkbites.com

No comments: