Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Penne A La "Not-Ka"

This is by far the very best recipe I have made in a long time. It was SOOOO good! Next time I will probably make a double batch so I have plenty of leftovers! I was flipping through channels a few weeks ago and came across the show on Lifetime "Cooking Yourself Thin" - now, I will watch just about any cooking show. And the recipes they were making on this show just looked so good, as well as good for you. So, I wrote a few down. This was the first one I made and it was just so awesome that I can't wait to try more! AND, I didn't even cut the onions out of the recipe like I usually do! :)

Ingredients:
2 tbsp. olive oil
3 gloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. chopped red onion (I used vidalia onion)
3/4 tsp. salt
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, pureed
Pinch red pepper flakes
8 oz. penne pasta
1/4 c. heavy cream
6 tbsp. evaporated non-fat milk
1/3 c. grated Parmesan
1/4 c. shredded basil
1/8 tsp. pepper

Directions:
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.

In a saucepan, heat oil and garlic. Add onions and 1/4 tsp salt. Cover and cook 2 minutes.

Add tomatoes, 1/2 tsp. salt and red pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and then simmer gently for 10 minutes.

Stir in the cream and evaporated milk and simmer 1 more minute.

Meanwhile, cook pasta (about 6 minutes).

Drain pasta and reserve 1/2 c. pasta water.

Add pasta to sauce and simmer 1-2 minutes, adding pasta water if dry.

Stir in Parmesan, basil and pepper.

Drizzle each serving with olive oil and Parmesan.

Yield: 4 servings

Source: http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/shows/cook-yourself-thin/recipes


No comments: