Sunday, December 28, 2008

Cinnamon Sugar Doughnut Muffins


When I saw the title of this recipe, I knew I had to try it. Unfortunately, it did not live up to my expectations. If I make it again, I will definitely add a lot more cinnamon. Don't get me wrong, the muffins aren't bad, they just aren't cinnamony or doughnutty enough for me!

Ingredients:
2 c. flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 large eggs
1 c. low-fat vanilla yogurt
2/3 c. packed brown sugar
4 tbsp. oil
1 tsp. vanilla

Topping:
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a standard muffin pan with paper cups.

Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt, sugar, oil and vanilla.

Add flour mixture and mix until just moistened. Do not overmix; batter will not be smooth.

Divide batter among the muffin cups and bake until a toothpick inserted in one or two of the muffins comes out clean. About 12-15 minutes.

While the muffins are baking, melt 1/2 stick butter and place in a bowl just large enough to hold a muffin. Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small, shallow bowl.

As soon as the muffins are done, dip the tops one at a time in the melted butter and then roll in the sugar mixture. Set on a rack to cool.

Makes about 12 standard size muffins.

No comments: