Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Cinco De Mayo Tacos with Margarita Slaw

Happy Cinco De Mayo!! In celebration, I made tacos! There was nothing extraordinary about the tacos - I did, however, make my own taco seasoning. Not only was it super easy, but I had all the ingredients on hand! To go with the tacos, I made Margarita Slaw instead of lettuce. I didn't particularly enjoy it, but I am picky and like things the way I am used to them! The boy thought it was good though. I did leave the Tequila out - I don't really like Tequila and I didn't have any and I didn't want to buy a whole bottle for one shot. If I was making it for company, I would probably include it.

Anyways, I'm just now getting over a terrible cold and cough and we don't have any vacations or anything planned, so I am hoping to get back into the cooking groove! My boyfriend is hosting an annual boys golf tournament (including his dad) at his house in a few weeks, and I am hoping to make a whole bunch of snacks and goodies for them, so we that to look forward to! :)

Taco Seasoning

Ingredients:
2 tsp. minced onion
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper (I used cayenne pepper instead)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. ground cumin

Directions:
Combine all ingredients.

When ready to use, this is enough for 1 lb of meat. Add to meat and then add about 2/3 c. water.

Source: www.fabulousfoods.com

Margarita Slow

Ingredients:
12 oz. coleslaw mix
1/3 c. chopped cilantro
1/4 c. vegetable oil
Dash of sesame oil
3 tbsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. lime zest
1 tbsp. orange juice
1 shot Tequila
Dash of Tabasco
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
Place cabbage and cilantro in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients, except salt and pepper.

Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve cold.

Source: www.jasonandshawnda.com/foodiebride

1 comment:

Jenn@slim-shoppin said...

I've always wanted to make my own taco seasoning, but never got around to it, or what you would put in there besides cumin. I usually have all those spices on hand too, and its a lot cheaper!

Thanks for posting the recipe!