Thursday, May 14, 2009

Potato Quiche

For some reason, when I saw this recipe, I wanted to make it almost immediately. I have no idea why. Because I don't really like quiche. I am picky about how I'll eat my eggs, and this is not the way I like them. I think maybe I was won over by the potato crust. I thought that was a really neat idea. Anyway, the boy said he loves quiche, so I figured, why not!? Even if I hate it, I can have a slice of cheese and be full. My main goal in cooking is to feed him! :)

So, I made quiche. The boy said it was bland. This definitely wasn't hard though, except for grating the swiss cheese, because, for the life of me, I could NOT find shredded swiss cheese in a bag. And I know that some people swear by grating their own cheese, but I don't see the value, quite honestly. I'm lazy like that though. I modified the recipe a bit because I don't eat ham, plus I added some spinach since we both like it and for the color. This was BY FAR one of the prettiest dishes I have ever made! That says a lot! If I can figure out what spices to add to it to give it a little more pizazz, it is something I would totally make for other people, or take to potlucks and stuff like that!

Ingredients:
2 c. shredded hash browns
3 eggs
1 c. milk
1 tsp. seasoning salt
1 c. turkey bacon, chopped and cooked
1 c. shredded Swiss cheese
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. frozen chopped spinach, thawed

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400. Spray a pie plate with non-stick spray. Press the potatoes into the pie plate and up the sides. Bake for 10 minutes or until edges are brown.

While that is baking, beat together eggs, milk and salt. Then stir in remaining ingredients.

Pour into the potato crust.

Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes.

Yield: 4-6 servings

Source: Adapted from http://www.recipeshoebox.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy--sorry it was bland. You could probably up the taste factor by using extra salt, a ton of freshly ground pepper, some nutmeg (best friends with spinach) and any fresh herbs you have lying around.

Make it again; it sounds like a good template and a great way to use up whatever happens to be in the fridge:)

Stacey said...

It looks delicious... and probably easy to spice it up next time!

I agree about grating cheese--- I can not understand the reasoning when you can buy it that way in the bag!