Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Irish Brown Bread

Sorry for the blurry picture. I had another (much better) one, but when I stuck my memory card in my computer, it wouldn't open. Gr. This has been on my "to try" list for quite some time. As soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted to make it. I'm a little scared of yeast and the whole rising thing, so I thought this would be perfect, since it didn't include either of those things. Well, I am not a huge bread fan. It is okay. It kind of reminds me of the brown bread you get at restaurants like Outback, Lonestar, etc. I am going to take the extra loaf to my sister - she LOVES bread, so we will see what she thinks. At the very least, it was super easy. No more than 10 minutes of "active" time. Which is always nice.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/4 c. whole-wheat flour
3/4 c. quick oats
1/2 c. wheat germ
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 3/4 c. buttermilk
2 tbsp. honey

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients.

In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk and honey. Add to flour mixture and stir to combine until a soft dough forms.

Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Divide in half and shape each half into a round loaf. Place loaves 3 inches apart on baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes.

Reduce temperature to 400 and continue baking for 10 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Let cool 15 minutes.

Yield: 2 loaves that are about 8 inches in diameter

Source: Woman's Day Magazine

P.S. I have a buttload of wheat germ, so if you have a recipe that includes it, please let me know!

No comments: