Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese

I was going to make chicken tonight, but the boy had a business dinner and I am apparently catching whatever cold is going around, so I decided to make some good ol' tomato soup and grilled cheese. Nothing like comfort food to make you feel, well, comforted. I actually made the tomato soup. No, really. I did. And it is healthier than my normal Campbell's Creamy Tomato - no cream or anything like that. It is actually pretty good. I didn't have any curry - so I substituted with cumin, ginger and cayenne pepper. And look at the grilled cheese. Seriously, that is like, the best grilled cheese I have had in a LONG time. I used a slice of cheddar and a slice of provolone. So yummy. And I know you are totally jealous of my oh-so-cool Mickey Mouse serving set.

Ingredients:
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. curry
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1 46 oz. can tomato juice
1/4 c. sugar

Directions:
In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and spices.

Gradually add tomato juice and sugar.

Cook, uncovered, until thickened and heated through - about 5 minutes.

Yield: 6 servings

Source: Taste of Home's "Quick Cooking Annual Recipes 2002"

P.S. I didn't win the cake contest at work. I placed fifth. :(


No comments: