Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sugar Cookie Bars

You know how you can tell when something just looks ridiculously delicious? When someone posts it on Saturday and you run out and buy everything you need and make it on Sunday. Yeah, that's what I did. I just couldn't stop myself. Seriously, this is the best thing I made all day. AND I took a pretty good picture of it! Usually for sugar cookies, I just crack open a roll of Pillsbury's. When I made these, I decided to forego making the frosting and just use canned. I totally regret that now. It's funny, now that I have been baking and cooking more "imitation" stuff is more noticeable to me. That's how the icing tastes. I can tell it is from a can. Next time, not only will I make my own frosting, but I think I will intentionally under cook the cookies a bit so that they have that gooey dough thing going on! Mmmmm... so good!

Ingredients:
1 stick butter, softened
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375.

Sift together flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.

Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

Cream butter. Slowly add sugar. Add eggs.

In three parts, add flour.

Spread in pan.

Bake 14-19 minutes.

If you choose to make your own frosting (and you totally should):

Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. shortening
2 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. + 2 tbsp. warm water
2 lb. powdered sugar

Directions:
Cream shortening.

Add 1 lb. of powdered sugar.

Add warm water and mix into a paste.

Once creamed, adding remaining powdered sugar. Mix and add vanilla.

Beat on high for about 8 minutes.

Once cookies have cooled, frost and decorate.

Yield: about 12 cookie bars, depending on how big you make them!

Source: www.icecreambeforedinner.blogspot.com

No comments: