Sunday, March 15, 2009

Butterscotch Cake

So, I had really good pictures of everything I made today. But then when I stuck my memory card in the computer, it said it wasn't formatted and I lost everything. This is like, the fourth time that has happened so it is really starting to tick me off. So I had to pull everything BACK out and re-take all my pictures. I was kinda frustrated at that point, so I just hurried through it and didn't bother trying my best to take good pictures. Sorry :)

Anyways, I love butterscotch pudding, so when I saw this cake, I thought it sounded pretty good. It didn't look too hard and it was different from the stuff I usually make. All in all it turned out pretty good. I think that if I made this again, I wouldn't necessarily use butterscotch frosting. The cake itself was by far the most moist cake I have ever made. So, here ya go.

Ingredients:
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
5 large eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. almond extract (I didn't have any, so I just put in a little extra vanilla)
2 1/2 c. cake flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 cake pan.

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time and then add extracts.

Whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the butter mixture, alternating with milk.

Bake 25-30 minutes.

Let cool 10 minutes. Then, cover with parchment paper and cooling rack and invert.

Frosting Ingredients:
1/3 c. butterscotch chips
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 tbsp. milk (if necessary) (and it was totally necessary)

Frosting Directions:
In a microwave safe bowl, melt butterscotch chips and half of the butter on low heat. Stir.

Cream the other half of the butter and half of the sugar. Add the melted butterscotch mixture.

Add the other half of the sugar.

Add milk if necessary to create a more frosting-esque consistency.

Frost the cooled cake.

Source: www.kingarthurflour.com

No comments: