Sunday, March 1, 2009

Key Lime Pie

Remember those cupcakes that I made last week? Well, I bought a bag of key limes so that I could use the limes as a garnish. I didn't want to be wasteful, and the only thing I could think of to do with the leftovers was to make a key lime pie. I love key lime pie and so does my dad, so I figured that it was a win-win situation. Plus, how this happened I don't know, but I actually had graham crackers to make the crust! Wow!

This turned out pretty good. Next time I will make a little more crust since I LOVE graham cracker crust. I used to buy those tiny Keebler graham cracker crusts and just eat them plain. Mmmm... You have probably noticed by now that I have some weird eating habits. Oh well. I also think I didn't add quite enough butter to the crust. It isn't bad though. I don't know, but I was really surprised at how easy this was to make. Other than juicing the limes. I don't really own a juicer, so I juiced all those little boogers by hand. One word: Ow. My hands hurt so bad now. I bite my fingernails (a lot), so it burned the entire time. I was able to comfort myself with pie though when it was all done, so that kind of made it worth it.

Ingredients:
1 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
4 egg yolks
1/2 c. key lime juice
2 tsp. lime zest
1 prebaked graham cracker crust (recipe below)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 300.

Whisk together first four ingredients until smooth.

Pour into pie crust.

Bake for about 20 minutes.

Let cool and then refrigerate for 3 hours.

Pie Crust Ingredients:
8 large graham crackers
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. melted butter

Pie Crust Directions:
Preheat oven to 375.

Pulse graham crackers in a food processor to make crumbs.

Mix in sugar.

Mix in vanilla and butter.

Press into a pie plate.

Bake for 8-10 minutes.

Yield: 6-8 servings

Source:
http://www.closetcooking.blogspot.com/

No comments: