Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Asian Chicken Wings

Here's the thing. Every month at work, we have a cooking contest. The theme this month is chicken wings. I try to participate every month. If I have a tried and true recipe, I use that. If it is something I've never made before, then it gives me the chance to try something new - kind of like everyone out there who is in Daring Bakers or Tuesdays with Dorie. I know - y'all must think that I work at some insane place. I mean, seriously, what business has cooking contests!? I actually have an awesome employer - we are one of the premier small pre-employment screening companies. Trust me, we are good at what we do. If you work somewhere that doesn't do background checks, or if you aren't happy with who you use, let me know! We truly are one of the best! Okay, so I'll stop sucking up to my boss! On to the chicken wings!

Since I have never made wings before, I wanted to make them the night before. I am also terrified of using a deep fryer (and I don't have one anyway), so I settled on a recipe that called for baking the wings. I probably will not make these again. After they came out of the oven, they didn't taste very good. The only thing that saved them was basting them with some Lawry's Teriyaki Marinade and sticking them back in the oven for a bit. They are supposed to be teriyaki flavor, but quite honestly, they don't taste teriyaki-y to me at all. They taste like soy sauce wings. So, use this recipe at your own discretion!

Ingredients:
3 lb. chicken wings
1/2 c. orange juice
1/4 c. soy sauce
2 tbsp. ground ginger
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. course salt
5 drops hot pepper sauce
1 clove garlic, minced

Directions:
In a bowl, combine everything except the wings.

Place wings in sauce, cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight. I just used a giant Ziploc bag.

Preheat oven to 350.

Remove from marinade - reserve for basting.

Bake 1 hour, basting with reserve marinade.

Source:
http://www.wildforwings.com/



No comments: