Sunday, January 4, 2009

Mexican Chicken Soup

So, I have been wanting to try making soup for some time now. It's a good cold-weather food and I always think of soup as relatively healthy. This is what I was planning on having for lunch today, but I ended up just having dessert instead (see next post!). This is great for leftovers - I just kind of threw in what I had; I didn't really use a recipe. I was actually pretty surprised that this was good! I wasn't expecting it to be very flavorful, and it is!! I was going to add some tortilla strips, but my tortilla kind of caught on fire in the toaster oven... Speaking of, if anyone has any ideas of how to get the smoke smell out of the house, I would really appreciate it :)

Ingredients:
1 tbsp. EVOO
Some onion powder (or chopped up onion, if you have it)
Some chili powder
Chopped up red and green peppers
1/2 c. salsa
1 can of black beans
1 can of corn (I actually used an individual Green Giant Steamers corn packet - it is all I had!)
Cooked chicken, shredded (I used 1.5 chicken tenders)
2 cans of chicken broth

Directions:
Heat up EVOO in the pan and add peppers, onion and chili powder.

Then add salsa, beans, corn and chicken.

I let all of this heat up for 3 or 4 minutes and then added the chicken broth.

Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15-20 minutes. I also added some extra chili powder after a taste test.

Yield: This made 6 cups or so.

No comments: